If you want to save space in your home or want to take a more environmentally-friendly approach to drying your clothes, then a rotary washing line is an excellent alternative to modern dryers.
Rotary washing lines allow you to hang multiple pieces of clothing at once and use the natural energy of sunlight and wind to dry your clothes.
This can help lower your energy bills as it requires no electricity to operate.
With that said, here are some of the best rotary washing lines available and the benefits of using one for your home.
- 1 Top 10 Best Rotary Washing Lines UK
- 1.1 1. Brabantia Lift-O-Matic Rotary Washing Line
- 1.2 2. Leifheit Linomatic 600 Rotary Washing Line
- 1.3 3.Brabantia Topspinner Rotary Washing Clothes Line
- 1.4 4. Minky Freestanding Indoor/Outdoor Rotary Washing Line
- 1.5 5.Brabantia Essential Rotary Washing Line
- 1.6 6.Oypla Lightweight Aluminium Rotary Washing Line
- 1.7 7.The Home Laundry Company Premium Rotary Washing Line
- 1.8 8.Homegear Outdoor Rotary Washing Line
- 1.9 9.Vileda Four-Arm Rotary Washing Line
- 1.10 10.LIVIVO Four-Arm Rotary Washing Line
- 2 Benefits of a Rotary Washing Line
- 3 Buying Guide to Choosing the Best Rotary Washing Line
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Thoughts
Top 10 Best Rotary Washing Lines UK
1. Brabantia Lift-O-Matic Rotary Washing Line
The Brabantia Lift-O-Matic Rotary Washing Line is a 50-metre rotary dryer that uses a smart lift system that allows users to easily adjust the height to their preference.
It has a working height of 129 to 187 cm, giving it enough height so your clothes don’t brush against the ground.
The lines are UV-resistant as well, making them highly durable and long-lasting.
As for the rotation, the pole itself doesn’t rotate – the arms do. This makes it more stable and less prone to falling. It’s fitted with holes, ideal for hanging clothes and other delicate items.
- Smart lift system for easy set-up
- UV-resistant wires for long-lasting use
- Highly durable and stable
- Perfect for heavy-duty use
- Easy to store
- The cover isn’t as durable
2. Leifheit Linomatic 600 Rotary Washing Line
This rotary washing line from Leifheit features retractable washing lines, allowing them to remain tangle-free, preventing them from getting caught when closing the rotary washing line.
It offers a maximum drying space of 60 metres, giving you enough space to dry all your clothes.
It has an easy-closing mechanism that’s triggered by a single push of a button, allowing you to set it up easily without the need to bend down.
It’s made from highly durable aluminium which is both lightweight and ideal for heavy-duty use.
- Easy setup mechanism
- Provides enough height to accommodate many pieces of clothing
- Made from lightweight yet highly durable aluminium
- Retractable and tangle-free washing lines for easy storage and protection
- Has a large drying space for accommodating more clothes
- Lines are a bit thinner than others
3.Brabantia Topspinner Rotary Washing Clothes Line
This model from Brabantia features an adjustable umbrella system, allowing it to accommodate three different line positions at once.
This enables it to consistently maintain the tension of the wires, keeping it taut. It offers a drying space of 40 metres, making it perfect for smaller spaces as it doesn’t take up too much space.
It has a durable enough hanging loop that makes it easy to store when not in use as well as an extra line for your convenience.
It has an adjustable height, allowing you to adjust it according to your needs and preferences.
- Features an adjustable umbrella system
- Provides enough drying space for limited spaces
- Highly durable construction
- Easy to store when not in use
- Increased adjustability for convenience
- Requires some force to set up properly
4. Minky Freestanding Indoor/Outdoor Rotary Washing Line
The Minky Freestanding Rotary Washing Line is a standalone rotary washing line, enabling you to use it both indoors and outdoors.
It provides users with 15 metres of drying space that’s capable of holding one load of laundry at a time.
The joints are moulded to provide extra strength and support. It features a foldable design that allows for easy storage when not in use.
The great thing about this model is that there’s no drilling required – simply set it up and hang your clothes.
- Offers increased portability and convenience
- Provides enhanced support and stability
- Capable of handling one load of laundry at a time
- Ideal for small spaces or road trips and camping
- Foldable design for easy storage
- Not ideal for heavy-duty use
5.Brabantia Essential Rotary Washing Line
True to the Brabantia brand, the Essential Rotary Washing Line feature an umbrella system that allows it to be easily set up when needed and taken down for storage.
It uses UV-resistant washing lines, making it highly durable and perfect for heavy-duty use.
It provides 50 metres of drying space and comes with special holes that allow you to hang clothes hangers with ease.
It also comes with a plastic concrete anchor tube to provide it with increased stability and strength.
- Provides enough drying space for medium- to large-sized spaces
- Highly durable UV-resistant washing lines
- Allows for easy setup and storage
- Provides incredible stability and strength
- Still requires some force to put up properly
6.Oypla Lightweight Aluminium Rotary Washing Line
If you’re looking for a standalone rotary washing line, then the Oypla Aluminium Rotary Washing Line is the option for you.
It provides 15 metres of hanging space, ideal for small spaces and even indoors. Its washing lines are PVC coated, making them less prone to sagging.
It’s made from high-quality aluminium and uses plastic brackets, allowing it to remain at an affordable price range.
It also features an easy folding mechanism, making it easy to assemble and disassemble when not in use.
- Ideal for small spaces, even indoors
- Comes with a base, eliminating the need for a ground socket
- Provides 15 metres of hanging space
- Uses PVC coated washing lines for durability
- Easy folding mechanism for easy assembly and disassembly
- Not suitable for heavy-duty use
7.The Home Laundry Company Premium Rotary Washing Line
This Premium Rotary Washing Line from the Home Laundry Company provides users with 40 metres worth of drying space, the ideal for a family of 3 to 4.
The pole itself uses high-quality steel, giving it increased stability and durability.
It features 4 different line tension settings, allowing you to keep the lines taut and capable of handling your laundry.
Keep it in place with its easy locking system, ensuring that the tightness of your lines is how you like it. It also comes with a free cover for easy storage when not in use.
- Provides enough drying space at 40 metres for a standard-sized family
- Constructed with high-quality materials for durability
- Has 4 different line tension settings for your convenience
- Comes with an easy to use locking mechanism
- Free cover for protection during storage is included
- Can be difficult to disassemble for storage
8.Homegear Outdoor Rotary Washing Line
This outdoor Rotary Washing Line from Homegear features a four-arm design and a drying space of up to 50 metres, allowing you to hang multiple loads of laundry at once.
Each washing line is PVC coated and is 2.8mm thick, allowing it to handle heavier pieces of clothing.
The pole, on the other hand, is constructed from powder-coated steel, contributing to this rotary washing line’s durability and stability.
It comes with a protective cover for when it’s in storage as well as a metal ground socket for easy installation.
- Provides enough drying space at 50 metres
- Features a 4-arm design for multiple loads of laundry
- PVC-coated washing lines for heavy-duty use
- Powder-coated steel pole for durability and stability
- Comes with a protective cover and metal ground socket
- Height is shorter than other models
9.Vileda Four-Arm Rotary Washing Line
The Vileda Rotary Washing Line features a fully painted exterior, making it rustproof which increases its durability and extends its lifespan.
It’s capable of being adjusted to 3 height positions, allowing you to adjust it according to your needs and wants.
It has a drying space of 45 metres, giving you enough drying space for up to 4 loads of laundry at a time.
It’s constructed from high-quality steel so you don’t have to worry about its durability and longevity.
It comes with a split-pole for easy disassembly and portability as well as easy storage. The 3-position handgrip allows for easy tightening of the lines to avoid sagging over time.
- Large enough drying space for 4 wash loads
- Features a split pole design for easy storage and portability
- Has an adjustable height
- Fully painted exterior for enhanced durability and longevity
- Easy tightening of the lines to prevent sagging
- Smaller than other poles
10.LIVIVO Four-Arm Rotary Washing Line
This Rotary Washing Line from LIVIVO features 45 metres worth of drying space as well as a four-arm design, allowing you to hang multiple loads of laundry at once without worrying about the wires snapping.
This is due to its PVC coated lines as well as the rustproof and weatherproof powder-coated frame that provides it with incredible durability and longevity.
The included ground socket and spike allow it to be easily assembled and provide enough stability to carry the weight of multiple wash loads.
It’s also fairly easy to open and close due to the upgraded mechanism used by this model.
- 45 metres of drying space, ideal for large families
- PVC coated washing lines for increased durability and long-lasting use
- Easy assembly and installation
- An upgraded mechanism for easy storage
- Rustproof, weatherproof, and powder-coated exterior
- Shorter than other models
Benefits of a Rotary Washing Line
As mentioned, a rotary washing line can be a great way to dry your clothes without taking too much space in your home or adding to your electric bill.
Aside from these, here are some of the other benefits you can gain from using a rotary washing line instead of a dryer.
1.Extends the lifespan of your clothes
Since it uses the natural energy of sunlight and wind to dry your clothes, rotary washing lines tend to be more gentle on your clothes than dryers.
This will greatly extend the lifespan of your clothes, preserving their integrity for much longer than clothes that are often dried via dryers.
2.Easy and convenient setup
They require no complex installation process which is more convenient than regular dryers.
3.Cost- and environmentally-friendly option
Since it requires no electricity to operate, it’ll save you on costs, allowing you to free up your budget for other things.
It’s also environmentally-friendly because it consumes less energy, relying on sunlight and wind to dry your clothes naturally.
4.Germ- and bacteria-free clothes
Sunlight is a natural sanitising agent which kills off the germs and bacteria that may be lingering on your clothes, even after washing.
5.Can be a welcome break from indoor chores
Since a rotary washing line requires you to set it up outside, it can serve as a welcome break from indoor chores.
It allows you to get some sunlight and fresh air – both of which can be beneficial to your health.
Buying Guide to Choosing the Best Rotary Washing Line
Before buying any old rotary washing line, you need to take into account a few things to ensure that you don’t experience buyer’s remorse or end up with an unusable product.
With that said, here are some of the factors you need to consider when choosing the best rotary washing line for your home.
Ease of Use
First and foremost, your rotary washing line should be easy to use and set up. Rotary washing lines often come in an umbrella design with 3 to 4 arms.
When buying one, consider the mechanism it uses for it to be set up.
Some rotary washing lines need to be manually pushed until the arms are fully extended and locked in place.
Some have mechanisms that allow it to fully expand and stabilize with a simple push of a button.
Ease of Installation
Another factor is the ease of the installation process. Some models have ground spikes that keep the washing line in place while others have sockets that allow you to mount them on walls or floors.
With this, you can make sure that it doesn’t get blown away even when it’s windy outside.
Since they are to be set up outside, they should be durable enough to withstand the conditions outside, especially harsh weather conditions.
The pole itself should be sturdy enough and ideally made of steel or aluminium to prevent rusting.
The lines themselves should be created with UV-resistant plastic and reinforced polyester filaments to preserve its tightness even when in use.
This also ensures that they withstand the wear and tear from exposure to the sun and don’t snap.
Clothes are heavier when wet so you need to consider just how much weight it can handle when buying one
. Go for a heavy-duty washing line if you’re going to hang many clothes at once to ensure it’s capable of handling it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I ensure that my rotary washing line is of high-quality?
Aside from taking into account the various aforementioned factors, you also need to ensure that you buy from a trusted seller so you can guarantee the quality.
Trusted sellers can also give you a warranty for their products which you can use should the item be defective.
My rotary washing line is saggy. How do I tighten it?
Over time, your washing line may sag due to constant exposure to the sun as well as the weight of the clothes hung on it.
To tighten it, start by putting the rotary line at a low position then at the centre, pull each section until it’s once again tight.
Be careful not to overtighten as this will lead to you not being able to close the dryer. Once tight enough, you can place it back into a higher position.
The excess washing line may be removed or tied off.
Can I restring my rotary washing line on my own?
If you’re certified to do so, then you may do so. Otherwise, it’s not recommended to do so as this may lead to injuries and further damage.
If you need repairs, it’s best if you call a professional to handle it.
Rotary washing lines enable you to dry your clothes without taking up too much space or consuming energy as normal dryers do.
It provides plenty of benefits, not just to you but to the environment as well as it emits less carbon compared to regular dryers.
With a rotary washing line, you can take advantage of the natural drying power of sunlight and wind, helping both yourself and the environment.